Data Engineer - O2E Brands
We’ve taken the “ordinary” world of home services and made it memorable by bringing exceptional customer service into the mix. With our four uniquely branded home services franchises -1-800-GOT-JUNK?,WOW 1 DAY PAINTING,You Move Me andShack Shine- we make the ordinary businesses of junk removal, painting, moving and house detailing exceptional by being leaders in customer experience and innovation. It’s all in our name:O2E = Ordinary 2 Exceptional!
Since we’re in the business of being exceptional, that means we’re always looking for exceptional people to join our team. Could you be one of them?
This is where you come in:
Prince and Madonna only had one name but you might go by many - Data Developer, Data Engineer, Data Analyst, Software Engineer, Data Scientist. No matter your title, we’re looking for someone who has a clear view of the end result of BI: deploying meaningful and insightful information to audiences, and prefers to focus on the technical magic that makes it possible. You know how to get data pipelines flowing, all the way from extraction, to transformation, to the various endpoints, whether they're reports, models, other integrated applications, or stunning and interactive dashboards and data apps. The position is based in our Vancouver Junktion.
What your day to day will look like:
- Build, document, and be accountable for quality and robustness of warehouse architecture and various data pipelines
- Ensure partner teams such as finance receive high-integrity, transparent, and reconcilable data on a regular basis using our standard toolkit
- Help maintain the security of data repositories by observing data governance policies, managing user accesses, and taking a security/confidentiality-first approach to sharing data
- Maintain the integrity of warehouse data by investigating reported issues with data quality and creating automated checks on data quality
- Regularly meet with partner departments to gather, prioritize, and fulfill their information requirements
- Build and maintain end-to-end data flows that gather data from various sources using various methods, transform and translate data and finally, deliver data to end consumers in the business
- Find ways to automate data-related tasks and builds tools for the BI team and others to multiply capacity
- Contribute to the enhancement and expansion of O2E’s information portal with new content and functionality
- Contribute to O2E’s data dictionary and proactively identifies impacts to data definitions based on process or system changes across the business
What you bring to the table:
- Team player attitude with a strong desire to help our partner departments be as successful as possible
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in R and/or Python
- Able to operate with a high level of autonomy
- Professional experience working with version control
- Passion for building software and/or systems and processes with high impact, high transparency, and easy business adoption
- Working knowledge of Linux (preferably Ubuntu) and cron
- High proficiency in SQL
- Strong understanding of PHP, or other web development language/framework and ability to quickly become proficient in PHP
- Experience with BI tools including Plotly, Tableau, Looker, PowerBI, BusinessObjects, Chartio, Shiny, or other BI tools with similar capabilities
- Experience in software development, data analytics, or data engineering
Is this your job?
Tell us why you’re awesome by submitting your cover letter and resume!
Life at the Junktion
What is the Junktion? Well, it’s more than just a solid pun. It’s what we call our head offices in Vancouver, BC and Toronto, ON. Team members sit in our collaborative and high energy open concept office and take part in our daily 7 minute stand-up meeting called Huddle and get together for a drink on First Round Friday. Not only do we have a cool office, we offer some pretty sweet perks too. In your first year, you’ll enjoy 4 weeks of personal paid leave. By the end of year one, you will be eligible for 5 weeks of personal paid leave. We offer extended health and dental benefits, as well as professional and individual development programs. There’s also our 101 Life Goals program, which helps you achieve your personal goals and cross things off your bucket list.